Sunday 12 January 2014

JD's Film Awards 2013

It’s awards season here on JD’s Blog - Based on the films I’ve seen that were released in 2013, here are my picks:

Best Score/Music
Musicals are not for everybody. In fact, they aren’t for most people, but I really enjoyed Les Miserables, full of moving and rousing songs alike.

Best Screenplay
Richard Curtis might not be for everyone either. Those people have no souls. About Time is brilliantly written.
Best Effects
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – You could argue that too much is now CGI, but when it’s this good, it’s hard to complain. Great throughout, but the showcase is the simply stunning sequence when Smaug reveals himself in his full glory.

Best Story
About Time – I came out of the cinema beaming and it lasted a good few weeks before the weight of the world crushed my spirit again. I can’t wait for this to come out on DVD. I’ll probably melt it down and inject it.

Best Actor
With a spot on accent and look, this goes to the great performance of Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda in Rush.
Best Actress
Conveying the unfathomable terror of being adrift in the most hostile environment you can imagine, Sandra Bullock in Gravity takes this one.

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity). Just….wow.

Best Film
It’s very difficult for me not to give this to About Time, but in many ways it relies on what you are like as a person and whether its themes are going to push your buttons. While I might not want to be around anyone who could dislike this film completely, I concede that such people are out there.
And so my Best Film award goes to Gravity. And well-deserved it is. With the best 3D I’ve seen since Avatar; an amazing central performance from Sandra Bullock; truly jaw-dropping effects somehow achieved without low-gravity – this movie is a cinematic marvel. Such a film comes along only once in a while. You could argue that Inception was the last, but you might even have to go back as far as The Matrix to pinpoint one of those cinematic experiences that just stops you in your tracks and make you realise you are witness to something truly special. Gravity – Take a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment