Sunday 9 September 2012

Canis Wolfborn: A Photo Diary


Sometime ago on Facebook, I made this Photo Diary of the painting of Canis Wolfborn for my Space Wolves army. I decided I'd convert it into a blog post to share with you. Bare in mind that this was before Finecast and the new paint range.   



The model comes in about 7 pieces. After cleaning it up and removing all of the unsavoury bits you get with metal models, I super glued it all together. There were a few gaps here and there which I filled with putty - known in the business as "Green Stuff".

The face is always the focal point of a model, so I started that first. After undercoating the model with Chaos Black spray, I gave the face a coat of Tallarn Flesh foundation, followed by a wash of Ogryn Flesh, to provide shadow in the recesses.

Leaving the original colour in the recesses, I painted the rest of the face with Dwarf Flesh, then painted the raised areas with a mixture of Dwarf Flesh and Bleached Bone. I then added Skull White to that mixture and further highlighted.

The eyes: Painting them to make the character look to one side is both easier to paint than trying to centre the eyes and also adds to the expression.

The hair was first painted with Scorched Brown. I then highlighted it with Vermin Brown before another highlight of a 1:1 mix of Vermin Brown and Vomit Brown.
I then added Fortress Grey to this mix for a few highlights around the beard etc. He is several centuries old after all!


I basecoated the wolf's fur with Khemri Brown Foundation.

Fur - Chaos black at the top - drybrushing further down. Bleached bone thicker at the bottom, drybrushing upwards. Then Skull White drybrushed from the bottom up. Highlighted with Fortress Grey and Skull White on the black.
Then it was all given a wash of Devlan Mud.
I'll write about the detailing on the face when it's finished.



 

The eye has been painted and further highlights to the tongue and teeth.

The armour has been painted with a 1:1 mix of Space Wolves Grey and Shadow Grey. The cape and fists were painted with Mechrite Red Foundation.

Any skulls or bones were first painted with Vomit Brown, followed by Bleached Bone. Then a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. Then highlighted with Bleached Bone and finally Skull White.

The gold on the armour etc, was painted first with a 3:1 mix of Shining Gold and Bestial Brown. It was then highlighted with Shining Gold before being given a wash of Ogryn Flesh. The final highlights are Burnished Gold, followed by a 1:1 mix of Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver.


With the model just about finished, it was time for the base. I marked out where I wanted the model to stand and then covered the base in sand.

After undercoating the base with Chaos Black spray, I gave it two coats of Graveyard Earth, followed by a drybrushing of Vomit Brown. Then a lighter drybrushing with Bleached Bone.

I then stuck the model to the base and sprayed it all with Purity Seal to protect it.


I added snow effect and dead grass to the base.

The finished model.











No comments:

Post a Comment