Monday 18 June 2012

About Me - Part Six: Warhammer


When we were growing up, my friend and I, between us, had almost everything Games Workshop had to offer. HeroQuest, BattleMasters, Space Crusade, Space Hulk, Blood Bowl and Man O’ War.
The notable exceptions were the big two – Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 – but that’s not to say I didn’t stare at the pictures of these awesome looking games and long to own them myself. I remember looking at the picture of the Blood Angel captain on the front of Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition and thinking “how amazing does this look?”

  
For whatever reason, I never got either of those games and life moved on. Videogames took over and years passed.
 
2008 – January. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to get a new hobby/interest. It was while walking by Games Workshop in Meadowhall that it occurred to me. Why not pick up the hobby again, now I have a bit more than £2 a week spending money? Not being an impulsive buyer, I came away and did my research. I returned to the store a week later and walked out with a box of Eldar Guardians, some paint and a book on How to Paint Citadel Miniatures. We were off!
 

2012 – June. As of writing, I have 2000 points of Eldar, 2000 points of Ultramarines, the beginnings of a Battle Sisters army, books 1 – 9 of the Horus Heresy and two other Black Library books and two audio dramas, 10 codices, the Dark Heresy core rulebook, Dawn of War and Winter Assault for the PC and I did have Space Marine on the Xbox before trading it in on completion. Breathe.
  
And I’ve been to the last 4 Games Days. And to Warhammer World four times.
 
So I’d say I’ve gotten quite into it.
 
I’m currently working on a Space Wolves army of 1500 points. You can see some photographs of these and other models in the Geek’s Corner section of this blog. Let me know what you think.
 
I haven’t strayed into Warhammer Fantasy as yet, though I do have the rulebook. But before doing that I would like to, ideally, get everything I own painted. Fellow wargamers will read that and be laughing right now. It’s a fool’s errand, like chasing rainbows. But we can try.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you really caught the 40k bug. Good man! Love it my self, along with fantasy and some Dystopian wars from Spartan Games.

    I have had a look through your geeks corner section and I have to say, well done sir! Some beautiful paint work, especially the Eldar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. When I've finished the Space Wolves I'm going to get back into the Eldar. Got a few units to complete

      Delete